Fire Damage Toxic Trio: Smoke, Soot, Mold

If you have ever experienced a house fire you know the smoke that is produced is so much more than a black cloud that slowly floats away. Fire smoke in a house fire often turns into a toxic soup of dangerous gases. This can be extremely dangerous to anyone who encounters it and especially damaging to your home. 

Many know and understand the risks associated with smoke inhalation but are unfamiliar with the other dangers lurking in the aftermath of a fire. For this reason, after the smoke is cleared they think it is safe to reenter the affected home. This is far from the truth. 

Even after the flames have been extinguished smoke, soot, and mold, may be spreading rampant through your home. It’s essential you understand the risk and get professional help when it comes to restoring your home. Contact our team at Reliant Restoration for fire damage restoration near Springfield, Ohio before putting yourself and your family at risk of these hazards. 


Smoke may seem harmless from afar but up close and personal, smoke is made up of an array of toxins and incomplete combustion of materials. These toxins can include Carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide (HCN) (also known as the deadly duo) and a whole cornucopia of other chemicals. 


Although it may seem harmless compared to the flames and smoke that engulfed your home, the soot left behind after a fire presents several health risks. Soot can spread through every room in your home, even those that were affected by the flames. 

The negative effects of soot exposure have been well-known since the 18th-century Chimney Sweepers Act was passed by the British Parliament in response to its link to cancer. It can enter your bloodstream by inhalation and ingestion, or absorption through the skin and eyes, causing a wide array of health problems including respiratory issues (asthma, bronchitis, shortness of breath), stroke, heart attack, cancer, and premature death. 


Chances are if you had a housefire, water was used to extinguish the flames. Now you are in a race against the clock to get everything dried up before mold starts to grow. Which can happen in as little as 48 hours. 

This mold growth makes the restoration process increasingly difficult and expensive – and is not your only worry. Water also supports the growth of illness-causing bacteria which you can be exposed to in the same manner as the substances in soot.  

Fire Damage Restoration 

The process of restoration following a fire is critical to the structure and integrity o your home but more importantly the health and well-being of your family. Don’t wait and don’t try to DIY a fire restoration. The risk is too great. Call our team at Reliant Restoration for immediate emergency services. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *