We know if you are traveling over the Holidays you likely have a long list of items to pack and things to do before you embark on your travels.
Well, we have some good news and bad news for you today. The bad news is that we may have a few more to-do’s on your list before you leave. The good news is, these to-dos are going to help keep your home safe and prevent any water damage while you are away.
We have seen it many times as professionals in water damage restoration around Springfield, Ohio water damage restoration around Springfield Ohio, we have seen it many times. Families that travel in the winter months come back to a burst pipe, a leaking roof, or other water damage.
Don’t let water damage take the fun out of your Holidays, read on to see how you can prevent water damage before you leave the house this holiday season.
- Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your home- When you travel any time of year, ask a trusted friend, neighbor, or family member to keep an eye on your house. Having someone watching your home could catch any small problems before they become big.
- Check for leaks- Before you leave, walk through your home and check for any small leaks. Look at pipes under sinks. Watch for rust or cracks. Ensure there is no water around appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines, and refrigerators. Make sure all faucets are turned off and not leaking, as well.
- Keep Your Heat on- We know it can be tempting to lower your thermostat significantly or turn it off altogether. While this would save you money in heating bills while you’re away, it could cause your pipes to freeze which will leave some serious and expensive water damage in the long run.
- Insulate exposed pipes- Insulating exposed pipes can help prevent them from freezing in cold climates, but wherever you live, your home needs constant air circulation to help prevent water damage and mold caused by condensation. Keep the HVAC system turned on and open the cupboard doors under sinks to promote airflow.
- Turn Off the Main Water Valve- It can be helpful when you leave for a trip to just turn off your water altogether. By turning off the main water valve you greatly lower your chances of any water damage occurring.
- Clear Gutters and Downspouts of Debris- This time of year leaves and other debris could have taken the opportunity to accumulate in your gutter or downspouts. Clean them out before you leave on a trip. If ice and snow or rain accumulate in your gutter you may come home to a roof leak or flooding.
- Inspect and Test the Sump Pump- If you have a sump pump you want to make sure it is in working order before you leave for vacation. This will help prevent flooding.
Following this short to-do list before you leave for your holiday vacations or winter travels will greatly decrease your chances of coming home to devastating water damage. In the event, water damage does occur our team of professionals is on call for emergency water damage restoration in Springfield, Ohio. We want to ensure your Holidays are bright no matter what!