Watch Out For Winter Fire Hazards!

Winter weather is just around the corner. As the leaves change color, temperatures drop, and snow begins to fall we will soon all be cozy inside our homes enjoying the holiday season.

Winter and the holiday season does not only bring holiday cheer and cozy nights in but also a whole new set of fire hazards within your home. We don’t mean to take the cheer out of the season, but after seeing countless house fires this time of year we know the importance of being aware of these winter fire hazards. 

Read on to be sure you are doing everything you can to prevent fire damage in your home this winter season.

Candles and fireplaces

As the temperatures drop and the sunsets come earlier each day, homeowners utilize candles and fireplaces much more often than in the summer months. Whether you are entertaining or enjoying a quiet night in, it is important to never leave your fireplace or candles unattended. Even in a house full of people we have seen fires start from candles and fireplaces in unattended rooms.  

Heating equipment

Don’t have a fireplace? You are not completely in the clear as other heating equipment can also introduce fire hazards to your home. Be sure to have your furnace inspected each year before you begin use. Make sure the area around your furnace is clean and free of any flammable materials. 

If you utilize a space heater, this will also introduce a fire risk. Be sure your space heater is plugged in to a wall outlet and not an extension cord. Also be sure to keep your heater clean and never leave it plugged in when you are not in the room. 

Holiday decor

Fun and festive holiday decor leads to new opportunities for house fires. From holiday lights covering your home to both real and artificial trees, many decor items are either highly flammable or use a large amount of electrical power. Hello fire hazards!

Holiday cooking

The holiday season brings a lot of excuses to be working in your kitchen. Baking cookies in the oven, cooking chili in the crock pot, and stirring hot cider on your stove all offer opportunities for a fire to start within your home. Always be aware of your surroundings when you’re cooking and never leave your home with the stove, oven, or crock pot unattended. 

A house fire is not the way you want to stay warm and cozy this winter season. Furthermore having to deal with fire damage is not the way you want to spend your holidays. Being aware of these fire hazards will help prevent them from happening in the first place. 

If you do find yourself with an unfortunate fire in your home allow our experts in fire damage restoration around Springfield Ohio, be the ones to bring your home back to order. 

Don’t let fire damage take the cheer out of your holiday season this year.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *